1 lb. (about 2 cups) red kidney beans
1 lb. (about 2 cups) navy beans
1 bay leaf
1/3 cup lard
1 large yellow onion, diced. Do not use sweet onions!
5 cloves garlic, crushed (see this video for easy peeling)
2 Tbs homemade chili powder
2 tsp salt
2 Tbs dried oregano
1 Tbs ground cumin
1. Carefully sort through the dry beans to check for debris.
2. Soak beans in water for 24 hrs, changing the water about half way through. The beans will expand by a factor of about 3, so use a large bowl well filled to keep the beans submerged.
3. Rinse beans well.
4. Put beans and bay leaf in large pot and cover with water by 1-2 inches.
6. Bring to a boil then down to a strong simmer. Cook for 1 – 2 hours until the beans are tender, adding water as necessary to keep beans just covered.
7. Mash beans. A potato masher works well.
8. In a second large pot melt lard and add onions, cooking on medium heat just until they begin to brown, about 15 minutes.
9. Add garlic and spices to onion and cook a few minutes more to allow spices to come alive.
10. Add mashed beans to onion mixture and stir will.
11. Continue cooking beans if necessary to reduce to a thick paste. If the beans are too thick add water a little at a time. Be careful though, nobody likes runny beans.
Yield 12 cups. Freezes well.
Perhaps you’d like some tacos to go with that?