2 -3 lbs chicken cut into chunks (important note)
1/2 stick unsalted butter
1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
2/3 cup water
2 Tbsp fresh ginger root, finely chopped
2 Tbsp garlic, pressed or finely chopped (see this video for easy peeling)
4 tsp homemade garam masala
1-1/2 tsp homemade chili powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp black cumin seeds
1 tsp cardamom, crushed
2 tsp ground coriander
1-1/3 cup rich yoghurt
1. Melt butter in large saucepan and sauté onions until golden brown.
2. Combine sauce ingredients in a bowl, mixing till well combined.
3. Add chicken to onions and sauté for another 5 minutes.
4. Add water and sauce to pan and stir well.
5. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until chicken is done and sauce is thick enough for your tastes.
Serve alone, or over steamed broccoli.
Cooking yoghurt will kill the bacteria so don’t consider the yoghurt in this recipe as a probiotic.