The carrots add mellowness and color while the raisins are a nice blast of sweetness in an otherwise spicy dish.
2 TB unsalted butter
about 2lbs beef, cubed about 1 inch
1/2 lb finely grated carrots
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp homemade garlic powder OR 4 fresh cloves, finely diced or pressed (see this video for easy peeling)
2 tsp ginger powder OR 2 Tbsp fresh root, finely minced
2 tsp black cumin seed (kala jeera)
3 tsp homemade garam masala
1 tsp homemade chili powder
1 cup rich yoghurt
1/2 cup water
1. Melt butter in large pan over medium high heat.
2. Sautee beef cubes till browned, remove from pan and set aside.
3. Add all spices to pan and cook for 2 minutes to release flavors.
4. Add a little water to pan to de-glaze and scrape up pan brownings well.
5. Return beef to pan and add remaining ingredients.
6. Allow to come back to a simmer and reduce heat.
7. Simmer for about 15 minutes or until beef is cooked through.
8. Adjust salt to taste.
Note: Like all Indian dishes, this one will improve over time. The flavors will develop in your fridge over night and be even better the next day.