I’m sure you remember chocolate. Maybe you are tempted to have a wee little bit now and then. Brothers and sisters I feel your pain.
In my many years of SCD I have concocted the Strategy of the Three Ds to fight temptations. In no particular order they are:
Physically remove yourself from the geographic location of the temptation. Out of sight, out of mind.
Do something physical or mental that takes your mind away from the temptation. Almost anything. Just not the TV – every other advertisement is for food.
Eat or drink something legal. It dulls the temptation.
You need to exercise some patience with any of these methods as they will take a little time to work. Practice, my friend and you will get better at “no”.
- Brush your teeth. I know I don’t want to eat anything right after I’ve brushed.
- Eat more frequently.
- Eat before you grocery shop.
- Before you put that illegal in your mouth, stop to remember. Close your eyes and really remember the last bad symptom you had. Relive the suckiness of that experience. Train yourself to associate those bad things with that object of your temptation.
- Put a rubber band around your wrist and snap it each time you long for that temptation.
- Sometimes I find it helpful to think of food as fuel instead of a treat. That it’s a means not an end.
- Do you have a camera in your phone that can record video? Record a message to yourself telling you how bad is sucks to pay for those illegals – this could be especially effective if you happen to feel bad from an illegal when the video is recorded. Watch that video before you cheat. Here’s mine:
Perhaps you have a tip to add? Let me know below.