Dole 100% Pineapple Juice now illegal.

I ran across this info on Raman’s site SCDrecipe.com which refers to a more detailed post on Erin’s site, NoMoreCrohns.com. Scroll down to the “Features” section in the green box.

I suspect that any of their other pineapple products that are fortified with vitamin A would be illegal as well.

Cornstarch? Whodathunk?

Back to the old cutting board…

Advertisements

13 Responses to “Dole 100% Pineapple Juice now illegal.”

1. 1 Stephanie October 15, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Hi! I found your blog when I was looking for how to make SCD yogurt, and I am glad I didn’t buy a random yogurt maker. I wasn’t how to contact you so I am replying to your very informative posting about the juice. (BTW How is juice 100% if it has additives? That makes no sense!). So I was wondering how you are currently making yogurt. I am not excited about spending alot of money on a dehydrator to get that accurate temp. What do you think of the possibility of one of those glass tabletop convection ovens or just the convection toaster ovens. They all come with temp controllers..its just a matter of finding one that goes so low…
    Thanks!!

• 2 Paul Stocker October 22, 2010 at 10:40 am

Stephanie,

The language allowed in food packaging is misleading at best. It would be nice if the laws changed, but I think the companies are too worried about their intellectual properties (secret recipes) to allow that to happen.

I use the yogourmet yoghurt maker. It’s not terribly expensive and once you regulate the temperature with a dimmer, it’s very simple and quite foolproof. See this post: https://eatingscd.com/2008/10/01/yoghurt-dimming/

I suspect that would be the rub: “one that goes so low..”. I’m betting that since they are designed for baking and toasting that they won’t and you’d still need a dimmer. I’ve not tried it though and you might have great luck. People use all sorts of methods to make SCD yoghurt. I prefer the control I get with the yogourmet and a dimmer. The thing is that we want to maximize the qualities of the yoghurt that make it so good for us and that includes keeping the temp within that zone.

If you do use a toaster oven, I’d appreciate hearing back from you on your experiences. That can benefit anybody reading this blog or asking me about it in the future.

-Paul

2. 3 Matt October 15, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Thanks for posting this. I don’t eat canned fruit for this reason, but I reposted this information on my blog to spread the word. I drank illegal OJ for months, b/c I just never knew there was a hidden illegal. Now I tell everyone whenever I find a new illegal ingredient. Thanks again.

Matt

3. 5 Caroline October 28, 2010 at 8:39 am

The Dole Pineapple Juice has actually been illegal for several years. When I heard the story from Erin at nomorecrohns.com, I immediately called Dole to find out why they had done this. They researched it b/c they had no clue what I was talking about – they claimed they had made no recent changes to their formula. Turns out they they have been using the current formula (with the vitamins bound to a starch made from corn) since 2005!
    So, if SCDers have been using this juice anytime in the last 5 years they’ve been unknowingly ingesting illegals!
    That sucks…

4. 7 Anonymous June 19, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Where can I buy pure powdered or freeze dried (dehydrated) pineapple juice, bits or fruit with no preservatives, additives, sweeteners, supplements and/or etc.?

• 8 Paul Stocker June 21, 2011 at 7:18 am

I’m not familiar with powdered pineapple so I ‘m no help there. As far as dehydrated pineapple, your best bet is to make your own. That is the surest way to avoid sweeteners, etc.

-Paul

5. 9 Tj Hawkins October 10, 2011 at 9:18 am

Hey Paul…Do you know if the Dole “Pineapple-Orange” juice is still safe to drink? Any chance you could post a list of the safe juices? I’m very new to the diet and trying to gather as much info as possible.

• 10 Paul Stocker October 11, 2011 at 11:04 am

TJ,

I had to look it up on Dole.com. The ingredients for the three forms of pineapple orange juice; canned, chilled and frozen include concentrates which make it illegal. Anytime you see the word “concentrate” in the ingredients list, the product is considered illegal for the SCD.

-Paul

1. 1 Dole Pineapple Juice Now Contains Cornstarch? | Comfy Tummy Trackback on March 28, 2011 at 5:40 pm
  2. 2 Illigal juice | Aspiringcatwalkmodels Trackback on May 31, 2011 at 6:33 pm
  3. 3 Tropical Smoothie and Food Additives | lunar milk Trackback on June 6, 2013 at 5:13 am