Food-o-stream

I’m starting to get into a new habit. I’m posting my meals to my flickr photostream. Not every meal,  but perhaps it can be a place to look if you feel stuck in your menu. I’ll do my best to provide links to recipes, but flickr seems a little flakey. If you want to check a picture for recipe links, click it to get it on it’s own page. The description on individual photos will show links, but the pages showing many pictures will not show you the links.

You can access my food-o-stream from the sidebar labeled “What I’m Eating”. Clicking an individual image brings you to that image while clicking the “More Photos” link below the box will get you to the whole collection.

Advertisements

7 Responses to “Food-o-stream”

1. 1 Eva Paterson January 25, 2011 at 11:48 am

Hi Paul,
    Nice pictures! I didn’t have any problem viewing them on Flickr and was inspired to make some refried beans. It’s a good time of the year for beans.
    My daughter (Arwyn) is tolerating beans and lentils and we’ve all been enjoying sharing pots of beans and incorporating them into soups, salads and casseroles.
    She’s done amazingly well on SCD this past 18 months but wants to take her healing up a notch. I’m just thrilled she’s gained 12 lbs since starting SCD. She tried some probiotics with bifida (the ones recommended by Jinni Patel’s protocol) but had an almost immediate flare up. She was doing the SCD legal probiotics from Lucy’s Kitchen with no problem as well as the homemade yogurt.
    I’ve been reading about fermenting cabbage as a good source of probiotics and wondered if you had any experience with the process.
    Cheers,
    Eva

• 2 Paul Stocker January 26, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Eva,

I’m so glad to hear that your daughter is doing well. So many parents are afraid that their children will lose weight on the SCD that I love hearing that Arwyn gained.

As far as the fermenting goes, I’ve thought about it and it’s on my todo list, but that’s about it. Oh yeah, I did research on Amazon and found some pottery crocks that look like they’d be perfect and not overly expensive. I know that some other SCDers have fermented foods and I think, at least, haven’t found them to be bad. Check out this great post on Kat’s Food Blog: http://www.scdkat.com/2010/04/ferments/.

-Paul

2. 3 Anonymous January 28, 2011 at 10:04 am

Thank you! Thank you!
    Just found your blog….the photos are inspiring. Please keep posting them!
    Jodi

3. 5 Kimberly January 28, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Thanks for the photos! I am not exactly on SCD, but my Dr. has me on totally grain free and sugar free~not even honey right now. I have always wondered if people on SCD or other grain free diets eat almond flour every day~do you? I can’t seem to stay grain free without nut flours or coconut flour because they really help fill me up. Anyway, just wondering if it’s bad for me to eat that stuff every day? I have lost 3 lbs. this week(1st week on diet) which I really didn’t have to lose, so I’m guessing the nut flours are not hurting me as far as fat!

• 6 Paul Stocker January 29, 2011 at 10:24 am

Kimberly,

You’re welcome.

I eat nut flour bread usually once a day, occasionally twice. There is no harm in having nut flours everyday, assuming that you aren’t overdoing it. The BTVC book cautions that if eating almond baked goods, “consumption of almond milk should not exceed 8 oz (250 mL) daily.” And if your system isn’t being irritated by the nut flours, then you’re okay. If you start to experience problems, eliminate the nut flours for a while and see what changes.

-Paul

• 7 Kimberly January 29, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Thanks Paul~I don’t seem to have any trouble with the almond flour and I’m not drinking almond milk right now so I guess I’m okay:) I tried NOT eating almond flour today and I ended up craving grains and cheating! Back to the almond flour tomorrow!