A bite into this sweet bread brings me back to my mother’s kitchen. It’s sweet, it’s tart and it’s really wonderful. The texture is very similar to the treat I remember as a kid.
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1-1/2 Tbs poppy seed
- 1 Tbs lemon zest (see notes)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice (see notes)
- 1 Tbs vanilla extract
- 1 cup honey
- 4 Tbs unsalted butter, melted
Instructions for loaf:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine dry ingredients in one bowl.
- In another bowl, combine wet ingredients.
- Combine wet and dry mixes.
- Prepare a 5 x 9 inch loaf pan by greasing or lining with parchment paper or your favorite method.
- Pour mix into loaf pan
- Bake on center rack of oven for 60 -70 minutes or until done (see video).
- Cool and store in refrigerator.
Alternate instructions for muffins:
- Do steps 1-4 for loaf as above.
- Fill each cupcake mold half to two-thirds full.
- Bake on center rack of oven for 25 minutes.
It is very important to use fresh lemon. If you use an old lemon, don’t bother making this recipe as it will be flat and you will be unimpressed. An average medium sized lemon will yield the zest and juice necessary for this recipe. Just to be safe though, have two on hand when you start. The most important thing to know about zesting any citrus is to not zest too far into the fruit. You want to remove just the color from the outside of the fruit. The white flesh under the color is bitter, so don’t zest too deep. I use a box grater and that works well.
You can find almond flour in your local grocery, but in my experience it’s pretty expensive. I buy a 25 pound box from Hughson Nut and it works out to be about $5.50 per pound delivered. Use Google and check the web.
Important: Ovens vary in accuracy so for your first time baking a loaf, check it starting at 60 minutes and then every 5 or 10 minutes until it’s done. If you do this the first time, you’ll have the proper time for your oven.
How to tell when a loaf is done.
For more videos visit my YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/eatingSCD